Veterans' Education

Veteran's Education

Application for Benefits

  • To apply at the College, please complete an application either online or in person at the Admissions Office.
  • Student must first be accepted into a program of study before he or she can be certified.
  • A veteran would then see the Financial Aid Office located in Miller Hall. Those who will be basing eligibility on current Reserve or National Guard Service must bring the Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). Additonal documentation may be needed in the case of "Kickers" or to document activations or mobilizations.
  • Student must also apply for use of any Veteran's Affairs (VA) education benefits. This can be done online through the eBenefits portal or through a paper application available at
    •  eBenefits is a portal for veterans, service members, and their families to research, find acess and manage their benefits and personal informaiton. If offers students a personalized 'Dashboard' that provides quick access to eBenefits tools. Students can apply for benefits, download DD 214s, view your beenfit status, check Post 9/11 GI Bill® entitlement and cehck enrollment status.
    • Please visit the eBenefits website to explore this great resource further.
  • Please note: It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that tuition is paid before certification of enrollment can be submitted to the VA.

Veterans also must provide the Admissions Office with an official transcript from the high school of graduation and official transcripts from all colleges attended. An evaluation of all college transcripts must be completed by the end of the second semester in a new program of study. This evaluation is necessary to determine what credits will count toward graduation in the veteran's program of study and must be reported to the VA when enrollment is certified. Enrollment cannot be certified beyond the second semester until this is accomplished. The veteran is responsible for making sure this has been completed.

 Advance Payment

  • Newly enrolling veterans and other VA-eligible students may receive advance payments if application is made at least 45 days prior to the first day of class. Former students may also request this payment if there has been a break of at least one term since their last attendance. The check, made payable to the eligible student, will be held at the College for delivery upon registration. This check alter future payment delivery and it may not arrive prior to payment deadline, requiring student to make payment arrangements until check arrival. Please note: Ch. 30, Ch. 35, and Ch. 1606/1607 are eligible for advance payment.

 Tutorial Aid

  • Eligible students pursuing post-secondary programs on at least a half-time basis may receive additional money from the VA to pay for tutorial aid if they are having problems passing a required subject. Payment for remedial training is limited to the equivalent of two academic semesters and requires documentation of demonstrated need.

Change of Program of Study

To change programs of study, the same admissions and evaluation process must be followed and a Change of Program or Place of Training Form (22-1995), or (22-5495 for Dependents) completed and on file with the VA. This can be compelted online through the eBenefits portal or in the Financial Aid Office.

Grading Procedures

In 1976, Congress amended the GI Bill® in such a way as to encourage veterans to move toward the attainment of educational career goals. The law now provides that no payment will be made to an eligible veteran for auditing a course or for taking a course in which the grade assigned is not used in computing graduation requirements.

To comply with this law, the following rules apply to veterans or other individuals who receive veterans' benefits:

  • The "I" grade is not a permanent grade and carries only a message of a temporary condition that will be changed to a letter grade of A, B, C, D, or F. The "I" defaults to "F" automatically after 20 instructional days into the succeeding term if course requirements are not completed by that time. In the event a veteran receives an "I" grade at the end of a semester, further enrollment in that course cannot be certified to the VA.
  • In all cases, an "F" grade is defined as a punitive grade for purposes of computing eligibility for and receipt of veterans' benefits.
  • Veterans cannot be certified for an "AU" grade
  • Veteran's enrollment cannot be certified for any course not listed in his/her curriculum as a graduation requirement. If there are electives listed as part of the curriculum, veterans must not exceed the total number of elective hours designated by the program and should take only electives listed as approved electives or electives approved in writing by their department head.

Conditions for Interruption of Benefits

Each veteran certified for benefits will have an evaluation of his/her progress done at the end of each semester.  For purposes of measuring satisfactory academic progress, the academic progress as measured by the Records Office will be used for veteran students. If a veteran student is on academic probation, that student will be placed on "VA Probation" for the following semester and this information will be sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

If the following semester, the veteran student is removed from academic probation, the student will also be removed from "VA Probation" status and the VA will be notified. For VA probation, veteran benefit certification will continue to be submitted to the VA, but it is up to the VA to determine benefit payment.

If the following semester, the veteran student is moved to academic suspension, that student will also be placed on "VA Suspension" and this information will be sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Termination of veteran benefit certification will result at the end of that semester for "Unsatisfactory Progress". Certification is suspended and the veteran will need to go through the appeals process as outlined by the Records Office.

If an appeal is approved, the veteran will need to meet specific criteria in order to have certification reinstated and continued. It will continue to be up to the VA to determine benefit payment for the student.

Change of Status

All recipients of veterans' benefits must immediately notify the Financial Aid office of any changes that may affect their pay status. Such changes include change of program, change of schedule (dropping/adding classes), change of address, and withdrawals.

VA Certification for Online Courses

In order to meet Veterans Affairs (VA) certification requirements the College acknowledges that off-campus courses, such as courses offered via the Internet or other modes of distance learning, are part of the College's approved curriculum. These off-campus courses are directly supervised by the College, are measured in the same unit as other courses, are required for graduation, and are part of a program of study approved by the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education (State Approving Agency).

  • The College requires that the faculty teaching these courses use a grading system similar to the grading system used in resident courses.
  • The faculty must include statements in the course syllabus that indicate the appropriate assignments are needed for the completion of the course, and the student is expected to demonstrate, at least once a week, that he/she is actively involved in the class.
  • Examples of activities that can be used to demonstrate this involvement include, but are not limited to, the following: posting/receiving emails, participating in online class discussions and class chat rooms, and completing and submitting course assignments.
  • Further, the College requires that these courses have schedules of time for training and instruction which demonstrate that students shall spend at least as much time in preparation, instruction, and training as is normally required by the College for its resident courses.

Contact Information

Miller Hall, Room 150

Phone - (864) 646-1650

Email (Please put VA in the subject line)

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Website at   

HVAC Named Advisory Committee of the Year

Read More

Surgical Technology Graduates Report Perfect Score on Exam

Read More

Navy Veteran Graduates Debt Free; Transfers to Clemson

Read More

The $5 Pyramid (9/25/2017)

Sep 25 Read more

Michelin Testing for Technical Scholars and full-time Reliability Technicians will take place on Sep (9/26/2017)

Sep 26 Read more

WONDERWOMAN! Mid-semster movie showing (9/26/2017)

Sep 26 Read more

Free Yoga session (9/27/2017)

Sep 27 Read more

Spanish Club interest meeting (9/28/2017)

Sep 28 Read more
Contact Us

Financial Aid
(864) 646-1650
Toll-free number (within 864 area code): 1-866-269-5677 x1650
Fax: (864) 646-1890

Office Location:
Miller Hall
Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday:
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.