Thomas Strange, Senior Director of Research and Development for Abbott, to Address Tri-County’s Spring GraduatesRead More
Pre-Highway Construction Inspector/Testing Technician: Asphalt Roadway/Earthwork & Base Course
This QuickJobs program is a WIOA-eligible and VA-eligible training program.
This course provides entry-level knowledge of equipment, concepts, specifications, and material testing procedures necessary to prepare to perform work as a highway construction inspector/testing technician. It also provides accelerated work experience credit for both SCDOT Asphalt Roadway Technician Certification and SCDOT Earthwork and Base Course Technician Certification. At the end of this course, participants will be allowed to attempt the testing requirements for BOTH of those certifications as part of the course without attending any separate certification courses. If a participant successfully completes the testing requirements for one or both of those certifications, that individual will automatically receive his/her certification upon submitting confirmation of working for an employer in this industry for one (1) month.
If participants do not successfully complete the testing requirements for those certifications at the end of this course, are still eligible to attend SCDOT Asphalt Roadway Technician Certification and/or Earthwork and Base Course Technician Certification after working for an employer in this industry for one (1) month in lieu of the standard 6-month work experience requirement. Those certification courses are generally completed at the cost of the employer.
The course involves 128 hours of training conducted over 16 days. The course is held Monday through Friday each week and includes the following:
- Classroom instruction
- Hands-on practice of applicable test procedures
- Field trips (work sites, quarry, HMA plant)
Topics covered include:
- Industry-specific math calculations
- Types of contract documents
- Surveying terminologies
- Slope concepts
- Industry equipment overview
- Construction Concepts: (Asphalt paving, Earthwork, Base course)
- Sampling and testing procedures: (Asphalt, Earthwork, Base Course)
- Paving control strips
- SCDOT forms
- SCDOT specifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Recommended (not required) Work Keys scores:
- Applied Mathematics = 4
- Reading for Information = 4
- Locating Information = 4
- Experience Form documenting 1 month of related experience (may be submitted EITHER before or after course completion)
- Note: Form NOT required to actually begin course, but form IS required to complete SCDOT certifications (may be submitted after course completion).
What to Expect:
Registration Fee Includes:
- Course books/materials
- Lunch each day of class (except test day, which is 1/2 day of class)
Will Receive upon Completion (IF all requirements are satisfied):
- Pre-Highway Construction Inspector/Testing Technician Certificate of Completion
- Nuclear Gauge Safety Training Certificate of Completion
- Nuclear Gauge HazMat Certification (testing requirement)
- Asphalt Roadway Technician Certification (testing and work requirements)
- Earthwork and Base Course Technician Certification (testing and work requirements)
For more information, call (864) 646-1700 or toll free 866-269-5677, Ext 1700
(within the 864 area code) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional class offerings, visit our full course listing and schedule of classes.