Special Event for High School Juniors and Seniors, Hosted by CMT, To Be Held Prior to Tri-County’s Bluegrass under the Stars ConcertRead More
Asphalt Roadway Technician
The Asphalt Roadway Technician (ART) Course is intended to assure competency in proper testing procedures and everyday field tasks. Individuals who complete this course will be certified to perform Asphalt Roadway Technician duties on SCDOT projects. The participants are required to perform mathematical problems that occur while working as a roadway technician. The learning experience is dependent on the level of prior experience and may differ between participants. However, the goal is the same: to establish a consistent understanding of roadway inspection. The instructors for the course are made up of knowledgeable asphalt industry consultants, equipment manufacturers, academia, contractors and SCDOT representatives.
Participants are required to attend a two-and-a-half (2 ½) day course and pass a written exam with a score of 80% or higher to become certified. The exam is open notes and open book. Topics covered include:
- Responsibilities of an ART
- Materials Overview
- Equipment Overview
- Plant Operations and Mix Design Overview
- Paving Preparation
- Mix Placement
- Mix Compaction
- Density and Control Strips
- SCDOT Specifications
- SCDOT Testing Procedures
- Industry-Specific Math Problems:
- Tack Rate
- Asphalt Mix Rate
- Control Strips
- Core Locations
- Nuclear Gauge Shot Locations
- Pavement Slope
Entry Requirements/What to Expect
Prerequisites for All Participants
- Experience form signed by either a certified HMA Level 3 QC Manager or a certified Asphalt Roadway Technician confirming:
- EITHER 6 months of related experience in asphalt roadway construction
- OR successful completion of the Pre-Highway Construction Inspector/Testing Technician: Asphalt Roadway and Earthwork training course (offered through Tri-County Technical CCE Division) plus 1 month of related work experience.
- NOTE: In the case of successful completion of the Pre-Highway Construction Inspector course, participants will be allowed to attempt certification as part of that course without attending a separate certification course.
Additional Prerequisites for SCDOT Participants Only:
- Nuclear Gauge certification
To become re-certified, the participant must attend a two (2) day course and pass a written exam (open notes and open book) with a score of 80% or higher. The re-certification course will contain a general overview, a review of all specification changes, and any procedural changes that may have occurred.
Frequency of Re-certification:
The certification period is five years. An individual will be informed, by way of a letter mailed to the technician's last address of record, when the certification period is nearing the expiration date. If the technician was last registered for certification by his/her employer, the last address of record may be the employer's address. However, it is the responsibility of the individual to keep Tri-County Technical College and the Technician Certification Board advised of his/her current address. The individual is also responsible for registering for the re-certification course, attending the re-certification course, and passing the written exam with a score of 80% or higher.
For more information, call (864) 646-1700 or toll free 866-269-5677, Ext 1700
(within the 864 area code) or e-mail email@example.com
For additional class offerings, visit our full course listing and schedule of classes